Friday, May 15, 2009

4-Wheeling at Lake Powell

Hello from Greg,

My wife has been bugging me to do a post about our 4-wheeling trip. Gavin, Grandpa and I went down to Lake Powell to do the Hole-in-the-Rock trail. It starts off near Hite marina. We left Thursday afternoon and traveled all day to get to the campground at about 8:00 at night. We had dinner in Hanksville. This is where Larry and Sheryl caught up with us. We camped out that night. We were expecting it to be a little cold at night. Boy, were we wrong. It was too hot for sleeping bags. I still can't believe how warm it was. After a good breakfast of pancakes and eggs, we took off. We got started on the trail about 8:30 a.m. This trail is a Jeep trail that is rated 4+, which means that it is extremly difficult for a Jeep. We were on the trail for about an hour when we got to a very difficult climb. Larry went up first and then walked down and drove Sheryls machine up the hill. I then drove my Hawkeye, the machine that Gavin was riding, up the hill. I walked down and started driving my machine up the hill. About half way up the machine started to tip over backwards. I jumped off and let it roll. It landed flat on its back. Larry and I rolled it over. It started back up and it drove fine. So I drove it up the hill again and then my Dad drove his up. The handlebars are a bit bent and it totally destroyed the instument panel. But it still drove fine so we kept going. We stopped for lunch at about noon in the only shade that we could find. At 1:00 we turned around and started back for camp. It was a very long day. We got back and had dinner of hambergurgs and gatorade. We drank a lot of water and gatorade that day. It was very hot and dry. I am glad that we didn't try to do this trail any later in the summer.

It cost about $400 to fix the damage to my machine. Other than that it was a fun trip.

Here is a picture of what happens to peanut butter cookies after a hard day on the trail.

5 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

What a fun trip, except for paying for the damages to the 4-wheeler. I love the pictures of the cookies.

Winnie said...

You describe the roll over so cavalierly, you know if your wife had been there, she would have been completely freaking out, don't you? I'm glad you're okay.

Those aren't cookies, their peanut butter pebbles.

Winnie said...

and I do know my pronouns, by the way. I meant "they're" not "their"
:)

Ford Fam said...

Glad it was fun, and you are all okay!

Gayle J. Randall said...

I'm sure Tresa said it, but I'll say it again. Please be careful! Loved the picture of the cookies, or "peanut butter pebbles." Looks like you had a great time even if it was hot! That's Lake Powell!