Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Enoch's Stitches

No joke, Enoch now is sporting 5 blue stitches. I'm actually surprised that he has gone this long without being stitched up.
Part of our typical dinnertime routine usually involves Gavin and Enoch fighting and wrestling, Kate screaming and me trying to finish dinner. I remember telling Gavin and Enoch to knock it off, but of course, they continued. As far as I can tell, Gavin was holding Enoch around the waist with his arms pinned to his sides, and Enoch was fighting to get away by swinging his head forward and back. Enoch swung forward and Gavin lost his grip. Enoch's chin hit the hardwood floor and split open. There was blood everywhere. I grabbed a cloth and held it to his chin. I didn't realize how bad it was until a few minutes later when I took the cloth away. I knew right away he would need stitches. He was so brave. He sat on my lap and was just whimpering. He only said, "Mommy, it hurts really bad." I think my eyes were watering more than his.
We hurriedly dropped off Gavin and Kate at Grandpa and Grandma Fowler's house and headed to the after-hours clinic at the pediatrician's office. They were great! I will never go to the ER for stitches again. When the nurse asked Enoch what happened he said, "Gavin was holding me and then I bonked my chin on the hardwood floor." Of course, Enoch had the nurse wrapped around his finger.
They took us back to the sterile room, laid Enoch down, covered him with a large towel and turned on Toy Story. They put some 'numbing goob' on his chin and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Enoch was great at this point. He was just enjoying Toy Story. Greg was watching with him and I was looking at a magazine. The doctor came in, joked around with us, checked Enoch's chin and stitched him up. It was quick and painless. They didn't even have to give him a shot. Enoch watched the movie the entire time and only commented that it tickled.
When the doctor was done with Enoch, he told Enoch that he now had kitty whiskers. Enoch absolutely loved that. Now he tells everyone that he has five kitty whiskers. I think that made it worth it for Enoch.

I know his chin looks very dirty. It is the residue from the band-aid adhesive. Enoch won't let us near his chin to clean him up, but we do keep his stitches clean. He will get them out in one week.
PS - Happy 14th Anniversary to me and Greg. Typical that we would spend it in an emergency situation involving our kids.

5 comments:

Winnie said...

What a brave boy! How perfect of the doctor to tell him of the kitty whiskers. Now Enoch will have a cool scar.

Ford Fam said...

Happy Anniversary! I even had it on the calendar, sorry I forgot to call. Wow, he beat Carson with the stitches. He does sound very brave though!

Melissa said...

What a lovely anniversary evening! I guess it's a good thing we didn't have presidency meeting after all! J/K His stitches look very cool and I'm glad he was so brave!

Michelle Kelly said...

Enoch is so brave and cute. What a fun experience on your anniversary. You two always put your children first, what a great example.

Gayle J. Randall said...

He always looks handsome, but even more so now with the "kitty whiskers" and later a scar to tell stories about. What a brave boy! At least its an anniversary you'll remember!