Saturday, February 21, 2009

Miss Kate

As I am sitting here thinking about what to write about Kate, I am getting teary-eyed. I don't know how to describe my feelings about my daughter. I don't love her more than the boys, I just love her differently. There is some connection between mother and daughter than I am now just beginning to understand; it is complex, emotional and wonderful. I can only hope and pray that it continues.
Kate is truly a little girl. There really is a huge difference between little girls and little boys. I noticed it right away, even in the hospital. It is so endearing to watch her, to watch her interact with her brothers, to watch her nurture her dolls, to watch her learn about her world. She notices if I am wearing new clothes and pats them when I hold her. She searches out her doll, Rose, and gives her hugs and loves (even if she does carry her around by her hair!). She snuggles with me when I read her books. She loves pretty things like flowers and pink soft sweaters. She loves to smell clean quilts. She craves physical contact and loves being held and giving hugs. She knows where the M&Ms are hidden and already has an indecent love of chocolate.
Despite how girly she is, Kate can hold her own with her brothers. It helps that she has every male is this house wrapped doubly around her little finger (obviously her mom too). She will get quite angry if her brothers ignore her or take away her toys. She screams, shakes her fist and launches into a lecture. Of course, she isn't actually talking, but the inflection in her voice leads me to believe that she knows exactly what she is saying. She loves to play legos with them (Duplo legos, of course). Her brothers build castles and then Katezilla destroys them while chewing and slobering on the brave lego knights. Enoch and Kate have so much fun playing kitchen together, especially making pizza. Gavin will hold Kate, feed her, change her, play with her. He loves her so much and it is incredible that he isn't afraid to sh0w it even when his friends are over. He will pick her up and give her hugs and talk baby talk to her and Kate laughs with delight. She is so lucky to have two great brothers.

A few random thoughts on Kate:
*I love her big, blue beautiful eyes. Eveyone always comments on her long, curly eyelashes and I love to look at them.
*She loves to play the sock game when I get her dressed every morning. I get her socks out and ask, "Where do our sock go?" She giggles and puts her hands out. I put the socks on her hands and she give me a big belly laugh. She never tires of this game.
*She loves to be outside and could swing for hours at a time.
*Her favorite foods are: grapes, pears, grilled cheese sandwiches, squash and anything chocolate.
*She does the cutest little dance when she hears music.
*Her Grandpa Dee (Fowler) loves to hold her. When we go to visit he greets Greg and I, gives the boys a big hug and then reaches for Kate. He doesn't let her go until we leave. And amazingly, she will sit contently on his lap (usually she is very wiggly).
*She can climb up the stairs extremely quickly. Unfortunely, she doesn't know how to climb down stairs.
*Her first two words were Mama and uh-oh.

I can't believe how fast she is growing up. Growing might be a relative term for Kate. At her 12 month check-up she tipped the scales at 19lbs 1 oz and is 28 inches long (both are in the 10th percentile). Her mind is making leaps and bounds every day and I am amazed at the new things she is learning.
Kate is my joy. I love her more and more every day. I am a truly blessed mother.

5 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

Kate is going to be a heart breaker!! You can definitely tell she is a girl. This weekend she walked up to me to hold her and then just snuggled right up to me with her head next to me neck and she tucked her hands in underneath her body. It was the sweetest thing!!

Gayle J. Randall said...

When I got up early this morning to read the blogs I got so excited when I read the words "Miss Kate." You know how I love to call her that. Then I read your blog and had a good homesick cry. What sweet things you said and how it made me love both you and her. She is truly blessed to have you as her mother and be part of your family. I love you and I love Miss Kate! (and all the Fowler "men", too!)

Unknown said...

HI DAD-Sounds like times of 32 years ago of little girl named TRESA. A lot like her (Kate's) MOTHER and GRANDMOTHER combo. Your little doll Tresa was a pink one with a little rattle inside. But you had no brothers to additionally spoil you. What a great blessing to see how your mother saw you as you see kate.

LOVE DAD

T Fowler said...

Thanks Dad! That did make me cry!

Kaye said...

I know exactly how you feel, Tresa. When I had Denise and they told me she was a girl, I whispered "Thank you" to Heavenly Father. I must have said it louder than I thought because the nurse said, "Oh, you don't have to thank us. We didn't do anything." I thought, Darn right you didn't. I know those connections we have with our daughters to back to before we were here. When Denise got her patriarchal blessing, the patriarch told me that he felt impressed to tell me that Denise chose me to be her mother in the pre-existence. So humbling and so rewarding. I'm glad you have your daughter too.