Monday, July 18, 2011

Humanitarian FHE

At the beginning of the year, our stake started a project to make quilts for the Humanitarian Center. I knew this was something I wanted to help with, so I didn't do a thing about it until now. Isn't that how life goes? Anyway, I picked up some fabric that was donated and started putting it together into a quilt. I finally finished piecing it and it was ready to be tied.
I mentioned to my friend, Cathleen, that I was almost finished with this quilt, but didn't know what to do next. I don't tie my quilts, so I really don't have a lot of experience with that. She suggested that we have a quilting bee for FHE. I loved that idea!
The quilt was smaller so it went together quickly. Gavin was a great help and did a wonderful job. I bound the quilt using the envelope style, so once we had it tied, it was done. I had a good time tying the quilt and now I'm ready to learn how to hand quilt.


Cathleen, who is super amazing, also got the supplies together for the little boys to work on sanding toy blocks. Such a simple project, but what kids doesn't like blocks? While the older people quilted, the boys (some big and some small) sanded blocks and rubbed them with mineral oil.


For treats we had homemade lemonade and chocolate zucchini cupcakes.

It was a great night. We had so much fun, accomplished a lot and went home feeling great. I think this is going to be a monthly tradition in our family.

1 comment:

Michelle Kelly said...

Wow, Kate must really want to have worn that watch, it's huge on her. Fun ideas for FHE.