Saturday, July 2, 2011

Balloons and BBQ

We had an incredible day!
We started bright and early at 4:45 am. We got everyone up, dressed, in the car and drove to Provo to see the hot-air balloons. This is one of our all-time favorite Independence Day traditions. I know it's early, but for our family, it is so worth it.


It was a beautiful morning and all the balloons were able to get off and a few made it back for the games. It is so much fun to walk around while they are inflating the balloons. Kate doesn't like the fire and heat that the balloons need, but she is getting more and more use to it every year. Seeing the Bank of American Fork pig balloon makes it worth it for her.



The highlight of the morning was seeing the Darth Vadar balloon. Wow! The boys (of all ages) were excited. Enoch was really happy (especially for being 6:30 in the morning). There were some Storm Troopers (or Storm Poopers as Kate calls them) walking around. We saw one first thing and Greg and Gavin got a picture with him. Enoch refused saying, "I'm not part of the Dark Side!" Later on he changed his mind and luckily we spotted another Storm Trooper.





After the balloons launched, we sat on the blankets and ate breakfast while we watched the balloons float around. The girls had such a fun time together playing games, dancing and giggling. We watched a few of the balloons come back around and then we headed back to the cars.



We drove up to Michelle's and Dave's home for a BBQ lunch of chicken, steak and all the yummy sides. It was still a bit early for lunch, so the kids played in the water and had a great time. We had a slip-n-slide, a blow-up pool, water squitters and water balloons. The adults enjoyed visiting and I thought of how much I missed Jarom when we are all together and it is obvious that he is not here.




We came home, took naps, bought fireworks for Monday, went to Wal-Mart (along with everyone else it seemed) and watched the movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Sometimes the Fourth gets so busy with early mornings and late nights that is it good to have some down time.
I love this holiday. I love what it stands for. I love seeing all the flags. I love remembering how lucky I am. I love teaching my children about America. I love the traditions. I love the fun. I love America!

2 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

Cute post, we had a great day and it was so much fun to have everyone there but Jarom, we really missed him. Thanks for coming all this way to our house.

Gayle J. Randall said...

Hear, hear! I love America, too! Especially when I can celebrate her independence with my children. I have to say that there was a little empty spot where Jarom should have been, too! It was a wonderful family day--perfect for the 4th of July!