Monday, July 25, 2011

Greg and Tresa's Weekend Getaway

Greg and I have been trying to have a weekend away for quite awhile now. We finally coordinated schedules with my parents and found that this weekend was the only one for the entire summer that worked for both of us. We took it!
We debated about where we should go, what we should do. We thought about San Fransisco or Seattle. Greg didn't have a lot of vacation time because of other trips and future trips, so we decided to stay close to home. Plus, I really wanted this to be a vacation where we did nothing - literally nothing. We have been running at full speed for so long that we really needed a few days of doing nothing. Knowing myself, if we went somewhere like San Fransisco or Seattle (and we have been there before), I would feel like we needed to see and do everything and then I would feel bad that the kids weren't there to see it. That didn't sound like a relaxing vacation.
We chose to go to St. George because we knew we could relax there. We've been there so much and seen everything that we didn't feel the need to rush around and be tourist. Plus, it was so hot that we just wanted to stay inside anyway. We did some school shopping at the Outlets, saw Harry Potter 7, went for a few late night walks and did nothing. It was heavenly!
The kids also had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa Randall. They rode the 4-wheelers, made s'mores, painted t-shirts, watch movies and went for ice cream. A huge thanks to Grandpa and Grandma for making this weekend possible.

PS - A little tidbit of wisdom I learned a few years ago from my sister-in-law, Annette, which has completely changed the way I look at vacations and made me a happier mom on trips. When you take your kids somewhere you are not on vacation, you are on a trip. You still have to be the mom. You can still have a lot of fun, but you don't get to take a break from motherhood. When you go somewhere with your husband or girlfriends, you are on a vacation, and you can act like it. Wow - so simple, but really changed my attitude for the better about taking trips and realizing that they are not a vacation for me.

3 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

I'm glad you had fun and that you two took a vacation. Great tip, I agree with her.

Gayle J. Randall said...

I'm so happy that you had a wonderful "vacation." We had lots of fun with the children, too! We'll have to do it again sometime!

Kristen said...

What a great tidbit! It will definitely help me the next time we take a "trip." And if you ever come to Seattle, you definitely need to give me a call!