Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

I never know quite what to write about Greg on Father's Day. Anything I write seems very inadequate. To say that he is a good father and husband is hugely understated. The best thing I could say is our family couldn't ask or want for better.
Greg has an infinite amount of patience, humor, wisdom, love. He trusts his children to do right and they do not want to prove him wrong. He is full of compliments for us and a desire to serve us. We adore him and we genuinely enjoy being with him. When I asked Enoch what his favorite thing to do with Dad was, he said, "I just wish I could be with Dad all the time. I don't see him enough."

One of Greg's greatest gifts is his ability to know how to show his family love. Everyone gives and receives love differently and Greg has figured us all out. He spends time with Gavin, he wrestles and gives hugs to Enoch, he tells Kate often that he loves her and what a girl good she is. And me - he serves me - often. This summer I have been dealing with severe headaches. Many times he will come home from a full day of work and find me holding my head and staggering around the house. He sends me to bed, fixes dinner, cleans up, bathes the kids, reads to them, straightens up the house, puts the kids to bed and he does this all happily. He seems genuinely baffled when I thank him profusely the next morning. He really doesn't understand what a big deal it is to take care of everything 2-4 nights a week. He says, "That's my job - to take care of my family. I enjoy doing it." He does it very well.

Gavin's favorite thing to do with Dad: play board games - especially Dominion and Settlers of Catan.
Enoch's favorite thing to do with Dad: build Legos.
Kate's favorite thing to do with Dad: play tag.

2 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

This post made me get teary. I didn't know you still had headaches so bad. Greg is an amazing example to all of us of how to serve.

Gayle J. Randall said...

He's one in a million, there's no doubt. You were blessed to find each other! We are so happy that you did! Thanks, Greg, for being such a great husband, father and man.