Sunday, September 13, 2009

From That to This

Here is Greg wearing his favorite shirt. It has a hole in the elbow and is threadbare on the collar and cuffs. Even still, he was having a hard time parting with it. I was also having a hard time letting it go as I really liked this shirt, too.

So, I turned it into this.....


We have nicknamed it Kate's BYU dress (obviously because of the colors). I saw a few tutorials online of how to make girl's dresses from men's shirts and the idea was planted. I made up my own pattern and added to it as needed. I added the ribbon elasitic at the waist because it looked too much like a sack and I added the cream trim at the bottom because it was a bit short after all the cutting and squaring up. I don't love the neckline, so next time I'll do something different.

If any of you have any unwanted men's shirts (even t-shirts) laying around, I'd be happy to take them. I've decided that converting clothes is a great way to stretch their life (and stretch my dollar!).

8 comments:

Winnie said...

Cute! Way to be "green." Tresa, you make me tired.

Unknown said...

Great Grandma Halverson would be thrilled, it seems she loved sewing like that sometimes. How do you get everybody to pose for all these pictures, Kate must be older then I think?? The question is can you make something for Greg out of Kate's clothes. It looks Great.
LOVE DAD

k8theriver said...

i'm impressed.

Michelle Kelly said...

Dad, I love your comment. You are getting funnier on the mission. I love the dress Tresa, it's adorable. I agree with dad, how do you get your kids to pose like that. Kate's adorable.

Angela said...

That is so awesome! You have some amazing skills there Tresa!

Gayle J. Randall said...

I loved this! What a clever mother (and wife) you are. You are the most creative person when it comes to being thrifty. It does my heart good to see how well you're doing with your sewing. Grandma Jordan is proud, too!

Ford Fam said...

Amazing as usual. I love the neck, but I like that style!

Carrie said...

It really did turn out cute! It's even cuter in person. I have a shirt waiting to be transformed, but like you, I'm trying to decide how to do the neck line. If you come up with one, let me know. I laughed at your dad's comment about making something for Greg from Kate's clothes. :)