Thursday, April 16, 2009

Next Up - Mount Everest

This last Sunday, I was telling my good friend, Winnie, that I've been lucky that Kate hasn't been much of a climber. By now, the boys were climbing out the their crib and creating all types of chaos. Kate has shown no interest of getting out of her crib; usually I find her in there snuggling with her blankie and playing with Fairy and Bunny.
I spoke too soon.
On Monday, she started climbing on the kitchen chairs. On Tuesday, she was climbing on the chairs and then onto the kitchen table. By Tuesday afternoon, she was pushing the chairs over to the table (my brilliant idea of scooting all the chairs away from the table only lasted two hours), hoisting herself onto the chairs and then the table. I'm amazed she can get onto the chairs. She is still quite short, but has the freaky Fowler strength (I always tease that although my boys are all skinny, they are freakishly strong).
I was fine with the kitchen table-climbing phase; all toddlers go through that, right? On Wednesday I couldn't find her. I searched everywhere and was really starting to panic. She was in Enoch's loft! IN ENOCH'S LOFT - which is what, 9, 10 feet up. I was really panicked then. She was having a great time and obviously has no fear of heights. After fighting her, kicking and screaming, to get down I lectured the boys for 10 minutes to now keep Enoch's bedroom door closed (along with all the bathroom doors).
A few hours later, I sent all the kids in the backyard to play in the sun. It only took a few minutes for Enoch to come in and tell me, very casually, that Kate was climbing the ladder to the play tower. By the time I reached her, she was about 8 feet up. Again, kicking and screaming to get her down.
This has been my week, pulling Kate off of high objects. I don't know what to do with her; she is covered in bruises, yet still insists on climbing. I was hoping Kate would be my one child with a healthy amount of fear - not going to happen. I think my only option left is to teach her how to safely climb down once she is up. Do they teach repelling lessons for kids under 20 pounds?

3 comments:

Ford Fam said...

Wow that is no fear! It amazes me how little fear they have at this age. I think just think everything will be okay!! I thought Brynnley might get out of her crib before Kate, but you might beat me too it!!

Michelle Kelly said...

What a fearless girl. That's to be expected with two brothers though. What a cutie!!

Gayle J. Randall said...

You have the right idea. I think you're just going to have to teach her how to climb safely. She does look adorable standing in the middle of the table, though! :)