Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

We are not perfect, but we try to do our part to save the environment. We recycle, walk when we can, turn off our lights, watch our paper towel consumption, garden and compost, search for cheap natural gas cars on KSL.com and various other things (I haven't changed over to cloth diapers and that is probably not going to happen!). I feel very strongly about teaching my children to do good by our earth - to take care of it and improve it when possible. I don't understand why so many people get their knickers in a twist over the global warming debate - shouldn't we be doing everything we can anyway to protect our earth regardless if global warming is true or not?
For Earth Day this year our family did two activities. We delivered fliers for our neighborhood garden and picked up trash along the way. I know, nothing big, but it gave us a chance to talk about our world and how little things can add up to big things. Just walking along our cul-de-sac and Quail Drive, Gavin filled a black garbage bag with trash. Enoch is so excited for the garden and corn on the cob and Kate doesn't care what we are doing as long as we are doing it outside! I'd love to get ideas from your family on how you help the earth - I'm always up for new ideas.

6 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

I absolutely love how much you teach your kids, you guys are amazing. It reminded me of when mom and dad would have us do a service project for FHE and we would sweep the sidewalk in orem, on that busy street. I like the "knickers in a twist" saying, I haven't heard that one for a while, and I LOVE the picture of Kate with her feet in the splits. She may be a gymnast!!

k8theriver said...

ha ha. 'knickers in a twist'

Ford Fam said...

Good for you! We didn't do much. However Carson was watching a show on tv and they were talking about turning off the lights and he ran around the whole house turning off all of our lights. I guess you can't say TV doesn't teach you anything!

Carrie said...

I din't even know it was earth day until I read something online. That's how good I am. :(
You earn the good parents award! I aspire to be like you.

Winnie said...

Tresa, you are a great mom! Look at you celebrating every holiday, no wonder you're kids are so great.

I'd keep my eye on Kate if I were you, she looks to me to have the gymnasts' path ahead of her. (At least then, she can do crazy things with adult supervision instead of climbing up 9 foot ladders on her own.)

Gayle J. Randall said...

Earth Day! Who knew about that in Kenya! What great parents you are to teach that to your children. "It's all about the memories!" and your children will have wonderful ones.