Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sewing for Cheesy

About a month ago, I got out the baby clothes to see what treasures were hidden in that big Rubbermaid box labeled 'Newborn'.  Very few treasures, I discovered.  I found a few cute outfits I remembered, but I also found a lot of old, scratchy, faded, stained sleepers.  These things were coming up on being 14 years old!  Time to get rid of them. 
I found a soft fleece baby bag that we were given when Enoch was born.  It was so warm and handy and I remember using it a lot.  Greg is the one who gets up with baby and changes him before I feed him at night and Greg loves the sleep bags, so I decided to pick up some more.  Umm - those things are around $25!  For jammies!  I can totally make those myself.
So I did.  I used the sleep bag we had for a pattern and went to work.  I decided that I wouldn't buy any fabric and only use what I already had (they are just jammies and my sewing room is bursting).  It's amazing how much fleece I collected when I really don't sew with it that much - some on sale here, on clearance there and I had stocked up on fleece.  The only things I had to buy were zippers and I did splurge and get some cute little robot appliques.
They went together quickly and I am very happy with how they turned out (and the fact that I used up a lot of fleece).  I hope they fit!
After I was done cutting and sewing fleece, I had a bag of scraps.  You know me, I can't throw away fabric.  I cut the scraps into squares and added some scraps of minky I had saved from other projects.  I happened upon some great robot fleece in the clearance bin, and I had a fun, inexpensive quilt.  I think we will use it as an outdoor quilt for this summer.  If this baby is anything like my others, he will love being outside.

3 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

Cute Cute!

real-life said...

Those are awesome. Great job, and I love the blanket--so soft and warm.

Carrie said...

You are so good! Love the robots. I haven't sewn anything since... i don't remember.