Monday, February 20, 2012

Deflated

I'm feeling a bit deflated today.  Mentally, I'm fine (maybe a bit frazzled).  Physically, I'm full of holes.
A few days ago I found out I didn't pass my glucose test by two points.  Geesh.  This hasn't happened to me before, so I was a bit surprised.  I scheduled my four-hour glucose test for today.  I went in knowing that it would be an ordeal, so I was prepared.
I had a blood draw at 8:30 am, drank my icky drink (wow! that stuff is like corn syrup), had a blood draw at 9:40 am, had a blood draw at 10:30 am and my last one at 11:30am.
If this wasn't bad enough, I had to go in fasting.  My veins are pathetically awful; but fasting, they are non-existent.  The poor nurse who had to draw my blood - as bad as I was feeling, I felt really bad for her too.
I was poked 18 times.  All in my hands.
I was feeling quite shaky by hour two (I was still fasting).  I didn't dare drive home, so Gavin turned on a movie and watched the kids.  After my third draw, the nurse made me lay down on a couch because they were worried I was going to pass out.  I felt like such a nuisance, but I knew I really did need to take it easy.
I was so thankful that my last draw went well. Afterward, I sat for a bit, drank some water and, extremely cautiously, drove home.
My hands are quite bruised, swollen and sore (it hurts to type!).  I know, I'm whiny and pathetic.  For some reason though, I want to remember this.  Can't think of a reason right now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.
Update:  Just got my results (that was fast).  Everything is okay.  But after two birthdays, Valentines Day and a failed glucose test, I'm ready to desugarify our home.

4 comments:

Ariana said...

18 TIMES!!! AAAHHHH You have license to complain all you need to about that. That's horrible. I can handle most anything, but repeated needle jabs...no. I hope the test comes back ok. I guess gestational diabetes can be pretty random though....I have a friend who was perfect with 3 kids, had GD with the 4th, then was fine with the 5th. Weird.

Gayle J. Randall said...

Oh, dear ... that is so awful! What a trial for you! I hope the results come back ok. You have your dad's veins--small comfort, I know. I think you're wise to post. Someday this baby will be grown up and will need to know the sacrifices you made for him. We love you! We'll pray harder for you!

real-life said...

Isn't that stuff nasty. I had to do a second test with Railey. Luckily mine came back and I was fine but I didn't have to have 18 pokes. I'm sorry! Good luck though.

Winnie said...

That is definitely an experience that no one will fault you for complaining about. Those glucose tests are icky! Maybe this means that your baby will be extra sweet, Hmmm?