Monday, February 13, 2012

Baby Names

I've only recently become serious about picking out a name for this baby.  I remember with Gavin, I was so excited to choose a name.  I read baby books, talked to other people, listened for names wherever I went.  With Enoch, it was harder to come up with a name.  Kate was easy, her name had been picked out for a decade before she was born (when I was pregnant with Gavin).  This baby - I'm struggling.
I was pretty set on a  few girl's names before we found out we were having a boy.  I really liked Paige or Claire.  I didn't have anything in mind for a boy.  And still don't.  The one name I really like I have taken off the list.  Kirt.  It's too close to Kate. 
So now I'm searching.  Enoch thinks we should name him Coal, yep, after the dog.  Gavin likes Halt, after a character in his favorite book.  Kate thinks we should name him Cheesy.  I asked her if that was a nice name for her brother.  She said, "It doesn't matter.  He's a boy baby."  Okay, I guess she is a bit put out she isn't getting a sister.
I'm taking suggestions.

4 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

I'm surprised with this post. I know you are very hush hush about baby names. I know I liked a lot of English names when we had Marcus. I liked Declan, and I have heard it quite a few times since and still like it but Dave will never like it. My all time favorite boy name is Rhett, but Dave hates that one also. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Angela said...

We didn't name Jackson until Dan went to give him a blessing in the NICU. Neither of us had a name we absolutely loved, and our list of names we liked didn't overlap at all. Boy names are hard.
PS why have we not gotten together since I moved? I should call you.

Ariana said...

I like the social security baby name stats website -- http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
We would go down the list list of top 1000 names for the most recent year available, and cross off names we hated, then names we disliked, then names that were ok but taken by other family, then names that weren't too horrible, etc etc. hahaha It worked for us, since we were trying going for slightly less common names, so we completely avoided all names in the top 100+.

Ariana said...

And if you need a list of names to avoid (and make you pee your pants laughing) check out this site: http://wesclark.com/ubn/