Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kate's Birthday


I just don't want to believe that my Kate is three. THREE! How did that happen? She is so sweet, adorable, smart and kind. I just want her to stay little. Oh well.

Some of my favorite things about Kate:
1. Her eyes - they are so blue and with eyelashes to die for.
2. Her smile - sometimes I get a bit choked up when she smiles at me. She is just so beautiful. I can't count the number of times strangers have told me how cute and pretty she is. I know!

3. Her sweetness - I think this is the word that may describe Kate the best.
4. Her smarts - she sits with Enoch and me everyday while we do Enoch's reading. She has picked up on letters and sounds and is starting to sound out some words. She loves books and wants to be read to numerous times a day. Her mind is very sharp.
5. Her sensitivity - she is aware of those around her and wants them to be happy. When she senses that I am having a hard time she will give me a hug and tell me, "I love you." When people are upset and voices are raised, she will run to her room to get away from the tension. Today Enoch was very sad over some friend issues. She pulled her little chair into Mom's closet to get Enoch one of her potty treats (a mini candy bar). She climbed up on the shelves, fell down and got hurt. She then pulled a kitchen chair over the carpet into my room. When I asked her what she was doing she said, "I want Enoch to be happy and not sad. I will give him a treat so he can smile."
6. Her determination - she doesn't give up easily. And she doesn't get frustrated. She will try again and again. It is amazing to watch her at gym class. She will do something until she gets it right.
She amazes me. Not a day goes by that I don't thank my Heavenly Father for sending her to me.

We started Kate's birthday by measuring her. She is still on the short side (2oth percentile). We then opened presents. She got some crayons and markers

and a new Sunday outfit (I love it!).

Her big present was too large for her to reach so Dad had to help.

She loves her art easel. It has been so much fun for her (and her brothers too). We have gone through a lot of paper, but that's what it is for.

Later that day, Mom and Dad took Kate to lunch to spend some time just with her.
We celebrated Enoch's and Kate's birthday on Sunday night with the Fowlers. We served brownies, homemade strawberry ice cream and chocolate dipped strawberries (all Kate's favorites). What a great weekend.

1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Oh, it just brought tears to my eyes when you told about how she worked so hard to get a "potty treat" to help Enoch be happy. What a little sweetheart, but we knew that already. Happy Birthday, Kate! We love you!