Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Can't See Anything!

About six o'clock tonight the snow started falling and the wind started blowing. It was quite the storm. I was expecting the power to go out (because in Lehi when the wind blows more than 15 mph, the power goes out!). About 7:30 as I was sewing Scout patches on Greg's shirt, the power turned off. Since I was down in my sewing room, it was completely dark. I heard Gavin yell from his room next door, "I can't see anything!" We felt our way upstairs and found the rest of the family.
We gathered in Mom and Dad's room. Greg and Gavin found some lanterns, flashlights and head lamps from the camping gear. We snuggled in bed and talked. It was nice - quiet. The kids were started to get worried and cold, so we decided to get them into bed and asleep. We piled on extra blankets and put a light in each room, I was concerned it would take them a long time to fall asleep, but it didn't.

The power came back on about 2:30am. It was nice to wake up at 4am and hear the heater going. It was the best kind of camping - no electronics, but still running water, a comfortable bed and great company.

3 comments:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Doesn't it make you appreciate so much the times when you do have electricity? Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder . . . So glad you were prepared with all you needed.

Michelle Kelly said...

Looks like a fun night! Your kids look really happy to just be together.

Carrie said...

We were out running errands and came home to the power out. We got out the lights, sent the kids to bed, and James and I watched a movie on his fully charged laptop. It was a nice, quiet night!