Friday, July 23, 2010

Cooking with Enoch and Kate

In efforts of trying to be a fun mom (I really have to make a conscious effort to be fun!), I decided that I would involve Enoch and Kate more in the kitchen. This summer we have cooked together every week making dinners, bread, ice cream, desserts and veggies from the garden. It has been a lot of fun and the kids have really enjoyed it.
Today we made chocolate oatmeal bars. The kids helped mix the crust and pat it down. We spread the chocolate mixture over the crust and then they sprinkled on the topping. They did a great job.
The hardest part of cooking with kids is the whiny waiting time while the food bakes. They stare at the oven and keep asking how much longer. Subsequently, we have had a lot of burned fingers and tongues trying to eat hot foot too soon! Today was no exception. It must have been good; we got a thumbs up from Enoch. Earlier this week, the broccoli from the garden got a thumbs down.
Maybe we will have some chefs (or cookers, as Enoch would say) in the future. Or maybe just some help in the kitchen for mom.

2 comments:

Ford Fam said...

I have to make an effort too... don't feel too bad! You are brave, I don't let my kids use the mixer yet.

Winnie said...

You are a fun mom. You are much more fun than me. My response to "I'm bored" is not to find a fun activity to do, I just respond with, "Only boring people are bored." I'm a meanie.