Friday, November 20, 2009

Preschool Snacks

I know this is a silly thing to post about, but it made me laugh.
Twice a year, Enoch brings the Friday snacks for preschool. The tricky things is, the snacks have to start with the letter of the week. I decided to just get our turns out of the way, so we had last week and this week.
Last week the letter was 'J'. Enoch took his favorite lunch - jam sandwiches. I packed plenty thinking that some would come home. Nope - some kids were licking the raspberry jam off of the Tupperware! Apparently, not many kids get homemade bread with homemade raspberry jam for lunch.
This week was a bit tricky. The letter was 'K'. Enoch really wanted to bring ketchup. I thought maybe we could pair that with french fries and Hershey Kisses cookies. I was all set until I realized the theme for this week was nutrition. I couldn't bring myself to serve french fries and cookies when the kids had been learning about fruits and veggies all week. So, we came up with Kabobs. I cut my apple and cheese chunks and was all really to go.
That's when it got interesting. I couldn't get the apples and cheese onto the skewers without the food splitting in half! There must be some sort of trick I don't know. After a few minutes of frustration for me, Enoch started helping. Thirty seconds later Enoch was bleeding with a gash in his finger from the skewer. Fatally wounded, he had to lay on the couch with his pillow and blanket to recover.
I gave up on the kabobs and made Kettle corn. Healthy, I know. I should have just gone with fries and cookies. Oh well, the kids like the kettle corn and we are done with snacks!

2 comments:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Oh, I can remember trying to come up with nutritious snacks for school. That's how I came up with the deviled egg faces that I used to make and put on crackers. I don't know how well any of the kids liked them, but they certainly were a conversation piece. Good job, Mom. I think your ideas were very clever.

Carrie said...

The kettle corn went over well. You heard Jimmy say he didn't want any, but her brought it home and had it eaten in no time.