Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Meteor Showers!

Our entire family loves anything to do with space - rockets, stars, NASA - you name it, we love it. One thing that we feel we can do as a family a few times a year to to watch the Persoid meteor showers (basically a great show of shooting stars). Lucky for us, this time it fell in August, which is so much more pleasant than laying in your sleeping bag in the backyard in the snow at 2am shivering in February (yes, we have done that, more that once!). The meteor shower is something that we can all enjoy and do together, the only downside is that it always occurs in the middle of the night. We all get up, drag our sleeping bags and blankets outside and wait. Some years are better than others (last night was not great). A few years ago we couldn't believe how many we saw; two, three, four falling through the sky at once for as long as we were watching. We can't wait until the next shower (I'll have Greg post the date on our blog and you can watch too!). I know the picture isn't great, but it's the only one that somewhat turned out (just to have proof we actually did it).

4 comments:

Ford Fam said...

Looks like fun, I loved watching for shooting stars at Lake Powell. You are dedicated to get your kids up in the middle of the night too, I don't think I would do it.

Winnie said...

Tresa,
I never want to hear you say, "I'm not the fun one," again. You're family does so many fun activities that are memory makers. I think I'm going to borrow some of your ideas.

Michelle Kelly said...

I saw an article in the newspaper about the meteor shower and I thought of you guys and wondered if you had gotten up, and of course you did. you should write a book about fun, cheap traditions to start with a family. I know I'm taking notes for our family and when we have kids.

Carrie said...

I alway seem to hear about it after the fact. Or if I do hear about it before hand I forget (like this year). I'll have to get the date for the next one from you.