Saturday, August 9, 2008

Brother's Day

Every second Saturday in August is Brother's Day. This isn't a national or state holiday, just a Fowler family holiday when we let the boys decide what we are doing all day and remember how much fun it is to have brothers. We started this tradition the year Enoch was born and have kept doing it every since. I know, I know - I need to change to name since Kate is not a brother, but I'm doing good to actually celebrate the holiday this year let alone come up with a new name.
This year we decided to visit Kennecott. I can't believe I've lived in Utah pretty much my entire life and have never been there; for Greg the last time he visited was as a Cub Scout. We thought it would be a good 'boy activity'. Gavin and Enoch loved it, especially the gigantic tire at the visitor center. Every thing is enormous, the tires, trucks, equipment and obviously the hole. It was great fun and I'm glad we went.


After Kennecott, we stopped at a fun park in Herrimann and ate our lunch. I know this is funny, but my kids love, love, love tuna fish sandwiches. For them, that is better that McDonald's (not that McDonald's is that great). I have to limit them to tuna on Saturdays only so for our picnic we had tuna fish sandwiches, watermelon, Cheetos, juice and cocoa Rice Krispies treats. WOW - tuna, Cheetos and juice all in one lunch; the boys were in heaven. After lunch, we had a great time on the playground. My kids have never played on a merry-go-round at the park and they loved it and spent most of their time on that.
We were going to go see a movie after that, but we couldn't find anything rated G or PG (and I wasn't about to sit through Wall-E again!) so we gave them the option of renting a movie or buying a valueDVD at Wal-Mart. They chose to browse through Wal-Mart and came home with Cody Banks 1&2 (on the same DVD). Gavin really enjoyed the movies and I snuck out to watch the Olympics. We had such a great day and look forward to it every year (especially at the end of summer - we really do love our brothers, right?!) If anyone has any suggestions for a new name for our tradition, let me know; Kate is feeling left out!

7 comments:

Denise said...

I loved tuna when I was a kid too. But I think I must have eaten it too often because if there is a sandwich filling that I refuse to tolerate, it is tuna. Even the smell of it makes me ill.

My dad, however, has been eating it longer than I have and still loves it. He requests it almost everyday for lunch.

Ford Fam said...

Looks like so much fun! Not a tuna fan myself, but for some reason there was a day when I was pregnant with Brynnley and I craved it. But who doesn't love cheetos, I know Carson does!

Vanessa said...

Oh man, that sounds like so much fun, what a great tradition to start! I do enjoy the picture with Enoch on the tractor thing...the man in the background looks worried! :)

Michelle Kelly said...

hmmm I can't think of a new name for you but I think it's a great tradition. What a cute family you have!

Melissa said...

What a great tradition and how fun to visit Kennecott. I think it is sad that it is so hard to find Merry-Go-Rounds anymore but I'm glad you did! What about Sibling Saturday? Is "Sibling" too mature sounding for your fun day?

Carrie said...

I was thinking Sibling Saturday, too. I think you get the "Best Mom Ever" award. We don't do anything fun. :( my own fault I guess.

Stefanie said...

What about Sibling Silliness? I agree with everyone else---you guys do fun things! I need to work on that...we get stuck in the same rut. It's funny, but Devin actually said he wanted to visit Kennecott sometime---guess we'll have to do that soon.