Thursday, January 31, 2013

Catching an Intruder

It's Science Fair time again.  Enoch was ready to go and had his idea picked out almost immediately.
He has really been into spies lately and he wanted to do something with that.  He choose Forensic Science as his focus.  His project was Using Forensic Science to Catch an Intruder.
From his Science Fair board:
Using forensic science, I searched carefully for clues left behind to figure out who in my family is the intruder.
I went into my room and knew something was wrong. Someone had been in there! I was very careful not to touch anything because I didn't want to mess up the clues.
I started by checking to see if anything was missing. I remembered where I had put my things. I searched my room closely to see if everything was still there or if things had been moved around. My bank! It was gone! Now I really had to find the intruder.
I found some fingerprints on my bunk bed railing. I used some cocoa, a brush and Scotch tape to get the fingerprints off.
I brought my dog, Coal, down to help find smells. She isn't trained to find smells and all she did was eat one of my Legos. She wasn't much help, but I still love her.
Using my magnifying glass I searched around my room for anything left behind. I found some hairs on my chair. They were long and blond.
Observation:
I looked at my clues – fingerprints and long, blond hair. I fingerprinted everyone in my family (including me, to make sure they weren't my fingerprints). Then, I looked at everyone's hair.
Conclusion:
I was wrong. Gavin wasn't the intruder, it was Kate! She was excited that I figured it out and she gave me my bank back. I want to be a spy someday, so it was fun to figure out the clues. But, from now on, I'm setting my spy laser trip wire by my bedroom door to catch any intruders!

 Enoch had a fun time doing his project.  He didn't win any awards this year and he was fine with that.  He was excited to be a spy for the morning and figure out the mystery.
Great job, Enoch!

2 comments:

Ford Fam said...

Mom of the year... Science fair without being required. You guys are officially hired to help when my kids are required to do it!!!

Kristen said...

What a super cute project!