Friday, January 30, 2015

Gavin's Wisdom Teeth

Hmm..I've always wondered why they call them wisdom teeth. 
Anyway, Gavin no longer has his.
They are gone.
Forever.
Good.
We know they have needed to come out for awhile now.  Not sure why I decided now, but it seemed like a good time.  We found a great oral surgeon, Dr. Ryser, in Lehi. We went in for a consult, he said, "Let's take them out."  We scheduled it for a few days later.
Dr. Ryser told us that technically Gavin had enough room in his mouth to keep all four of his wisdom teeth.  He lucked out - big mouth, average-sized teeth.  But, they were growing up under his gums and there was no way to keep them clean.  They would eventually decay and need a lot of attention.  So, let's just be rid of them.
Gavin wasn't showing much apprehension the morning of the surgery, but I knew he was a bit nervous.  First up was the IV.  When the nurse looked at Gavin's arms, she got a big smile on her face.  Gavin has those great Fowler veins.  After putting in the IV with no problem she said, "That was the easiest IV I've ever done."
Next, they put some oxygen on him and scurried around the room a bit getting things ready.  Dr. Ryser came in with his big tray of tools and talked to us for a bit.
Gavin still seemed okay.  Tough teenager!  Dr. Ryser pulled out the happy meds, squeezed them into Gav's IV and he was out.  I went to sit in the waiting room.  I brought a quilt I was binding, a book and a list of texts I needed to send.  I only got through about four texts when I could hear them yelling Gavin's name.  I was a bit panicked.  I wasn't sure if something was going wrong.  The receptionist could tell I was nervous so she went back to see what was going on.  He was fine, surgery was over and they were trying to wake him up.  That was fast!
They took me back to the room.  Gavin was still trying to wake up.  I promised no videos, but I did sneak a few pictures.  He had a bit of a hard time waking up, but he did okay.  He kept trying to pull off his ice packs and he was asking the same few questions over and over.  When they would ask him a question, it took him a long time to come up with an answer and when he did, he was so proud of himself!  It was rather cute.
 The nurse and I gently walked him out to the car.  He got in the front seat and kept asking if he could drive.  He said, "I don't know why you are here.  I could drive myself home.  But I can see better right now with my eyes closed, so I would just close my eyes.  But, I could drive myself home."  Okay.  Not today, honey.
We stopped briefly by Fowlers to pick up Guard and then we quickly headed home.  It was a long walk inside from the garage, but Gavin finally made it to our room.  I kept him upstairs so I could check on him.  I got him some chocolate milk and Lortab, put on a movie and he just spaced out.
The meds wore off soon and he was up and looking for something to eat.  He was hungry, but didn't want to eat.  He settled on some mint brownie ice cream.  He ate that and chocolate milk all day.  He spend the rest of the day watching movies.  By afternoon, he was feeling fine.
He couldn't find anyone to take his shift that night, so he showed up to work (Jen drove him).  They promptly sent him home when they heard his story.
He has done so well, not a lot of pain, no swelling and no bruising.  He got off lucky, I think!

1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Some guys have all the luck! So happy things went so well for you, Gavin! You deserve it! Love you!