Thursday, June 19, 2014

Busy Bee Busyness

After lunch, Enoch calmly said, "I think there is something wrong with my bees."  Very calmly.  Without panic. 
When I looked our the window, I panicked.
The bees were swarming!
I called Greg, yelled at him that his bees were freaking out and to get home.  Now. 
Then I realized Enoch had gone outside, had his bee suit on and was trying to corral the bees.  Good luck, sweetie.
I panicked again.
Not a good afternoon for me.
By the time Greg got home, the bees were gone.  I wasn't sure where they had gone, but Greg and Enoch found them in the field by the shed.  It was a bit tricky getting over the fence with the suits on, but they did it.
The bees had gathered on a bush and were all hovering around the queen.
Greg figures that one of our queens died.  The hive made a new queen and a back-up queen.  The back-up queen left the hive and took half the bees with her.  It was a bit tricky to get the bees back into the hive (considering we accidentally killed the queen in the process of gathering the bees from the bush and getting them back into the yard).
Whew!  That was hard work standing inside the kitchen and watching out the window.  Enoch took the pictures. 
Good thing Greg and Enoch like those bees.

No comments: