Friday, November 8, 2013

Enoch Bears His Testimony

I've debated about putting up this post.  It is an experience that is quite special to me.
I do want to remember it and this is the best place to record it.
A few weeks ago Enoch sat down next to me and looked at me with worried eyes.  I gave him a squeeze around his shoulders and asked him what was going on.
"I'm not sure if I have a testimony," he admitted as he looked straight ahead.  When he did finally look at me, his eyes were shiny with tears.
Enoch has always understood spiritual matters with a mature heart.  He can be a typical, rambunctious boy and make mistakes with the best of them, but when it comes to the quiet times of spiritual reflection, he seems to just know things.  Things that he shouldn't know yet. 
Enoch has a very quiet side to him.  He likes silent and solitude.  He likes to be in his own head.  He likes to work things out with logic.  He also likes to think about hugely spiritual matters that can't be worked out with logic.
You can't work out a testimony with logic.
I told Enoch how proud I was of him for thinking about his testimony.  I asked him to tell me how he felt about Jesus and Heavenly Father, how he felt about the scriptures, how he felt about President Monson.  After talking for awhile, I slowly brought the conversation back to testimonies.  I explained to Enoch that he had just shared his testimony with me.
He understood.
He was amazed.
He was so happy.

A few weeks later, Enoch came home from Scouts with a big grin.  He said that they had bore their testimonies during den meeting and that he had shared his.  I was so proud of him!  Enoch hates to be the center of attention (really, really hates it), so I know that was difficult for him.  He didn't make a big deal about it, so neither did I.
I received a phone call a few days later from his den leader, Sister Larson.  She gave me more of the story:
She explained to the boys that they were working on the Faith in God that week and to pass off the requirement they needed to share a scripture story and bear their testimony.  They went around the circle and all the boys said their things.  Enoch was the last in the circle.  When it was his turn, he was looking very nervous.  Sister Larson wasn't sure if Enoch was going to do it.
He sat there, looking down at his hands for quite awhile.  Sister Larson asked him if he needed help.  Enoch held up one finger to indicate he needed just a minute.  A full minute.  He sat there for a full minute then he started to talk.  He told the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendego (his favorite scripture story) and then he paused.  He took a deep breath and (according to Sister Larson) he bore the purest, sweetest testimony.  The entire room (full of 10 boys) was silent.  Silent.  Enoch finished his testimony and then looked up at Sister Larson with the biggest smile on his face.
One of the boys said, "I feel really good right now."  Sister Larson then pointed out that the Spirit was so strong, that they were all feeling good because the Spirit was in their hearts.
I love great Cub Scout leaders!
What a great experience for my Enoch.  His testimony is growing and he is learning to recognize the Spirit.  What a joyful time for him.  He is such a good example to me of truly wanting to do the right thing for the right reasons.  
Enoch is a blessing from heaven for our family.

1 comment:

Michelle Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoy getting these things about my nieces and nephews. Enoch is such a great example to everyone in the family and I enjoy watching him grow up.