Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Today Greg and I are celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary. Wow! Has is really been that long? I'm so lucky!
I've told a few people this story, but wanted to write it down for our kid's sake. It's a great story. I remember it when I get frustrated with Greg because I know we are supposed to be together!
I was a few weeks away from graduating from high school. I had a lot to do - AP tests, graduation things, parties. My family was going away for the weekend to participate in a 'Clean-Up Utah' service day. Our stake in Lehi had been assigned to help a stake in Tropic, Utah spruce up their town. (FYI - Tropic is located near Bryce Canyon.) I convinced my parents that I had too much to do to go. They agreed and I planned on spending the weekend at home alone getting some things done.
A few hours before my family was to leave, my mom came up to my room and invited me to go with the family. I was a bit frustrated because I thought we had decided I was staying home. She told me she felt very strongly I should go. I didn't want to. She insisted and I grumpily went to Tropic.
My family spent the day picking up trash in yards, along the road and in a very large canal. My sister and I were working in this canal wondering what we should do with a very old refrigerator when two guys came and asked if we needed help. We started talking and realized they were from Lehi too. They were in the singles ward. I didn't believe one of them because he looked so young. He introduced himself as Greg and assured me he was 22 and a returned missionary. I was still skeptical until he showed me his driver's license.
We spent some time cleaning up with each other and talking. I thought he was very nice with a great smile. That night we had a big BBQ and barn dance. Everyone had a great time and Greg and I danced a few times. That night, Greg asked me for my phone number and I wrote it down for him. We won't mention the fact that it took him a few weeks to call me because he forgot my name! Now that I've been married to him for 15 years, I understand that names and faces isn't Greg's strong point, but really!
We went out on a few dates and I knew I really liked Greg. He was so basic - and I mean that in a good way. He was a good person, making good choices and trying to live a good life. He was kind, funny and honest. He was also 22, a returned missionary and not just dating for fun (he never said that to me, but I knew). I was 17, still in high school and not looking for anything permanent yet.
I struggled with that during that first little while. I really wanted to keep seeing him, but didn't want to be in a serious relationship. It was on my mind a lot and I wanted to do the right thing.
I attended a lunch for graduating Laurals and their moms a few weeks after meeting Greg. After lunch there was a guest speaker, a Miss Utah, or something like that. She was slightly annoying and I was only half listening to her. She asked us to close our eyes and imagine where we would be a year from now. I was thinking that I would be finishing up my first year at BYU and maybe staring a summer job. I finally closed my eyes and got quite a surprise. I could see everything so clearly and crisply. I was at the Manti Temple. The sky was very blue with a few clouds. There were yellow and red tulips. I I could see myself. I was wearing a wedding dress, standing next to Greg who was wearing a tuxedo. I was shocked.
Greg and I spent the next year, yes a full year, dating. We got engaged on February 10, 1995. I had a great time planning our wedding. Greg only had one request. He really wanted to be married in the Manti Temple. It is a beautiful temple and I was happy with that. Our wedding day was perfect, wonderful, joyful.
I was looking at an old calendar a few months after we were married. It was only then that I remembered my experience at the Laural lunch (I really hadn't thought about much since it happened, promise!). I became very teary when I realized how everything came true. We were married in the Manti Temple with red and yellow tulips exactly one year from the date of that lunch. It still makes me teary and gives me goose bumps when I think about it.
It has been an incredible 15 years. I have been so blessed. Greg and I have experience many ups and downs. Greg has definitely handled them better than I have. He has been so strong and steady. His faith has carried both of us during many rough times. He makes me smile, laugh and roll my eyes. I really can't put into words what a great father he is. I knew he would be a good dad, but he constantly blows me away with his love and commitment to the kids. It has been a great time. We are so lucky!
PS - I was going to scan in a wedding picture, but I can't walk down the stairs yet. Besides, I don't want to embarrass Greg with how much weight he has gained since we've been married!

8 comments:

Winnie said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are a great couple with a great family. I am blessed to know you.

Leslie said...

Wow! That is such a great story! Amazing how it was exactly one year later. We got married in Manti too as well as most of our siblings. So far, I think our kids have decided that's the one for them too. Hope you are up and running soon.

Gayle J. Randall said...

I've told your story many times when prompted by the Spirit to do so. It's such a great example of our Heavenly Father's love for us. He knew that marrying that young would be a very difficult choice for you because you had so many other goals and plans. But he also knew how perfect Greg would be for you and he gave you that beautiful experience to give you confidence to go forward. How grateful I am that the Spirit prompted me to encourage you to go to the service project. I really didn't know you would meet someone. I just felt like you should be there with our family. I'm so glad you were obedient to a mother's intuition. Now you have mother's intuition of your own. Happy Anniversary! We love you (and Greg) so much!

Heather said...

What a great story! Thank you for taking the time to share it. Happy Anniversary!

Ariana said...

YOU CARDED HIM??? hahahahahaha Love it :) Great story!

Ford Fam said...

Wow, 15 years!!! What an accomplishment, we are almost half way there! I loved reading the story again! It's a little different now that I am not a teenager!

Angela said...

Congrats on 15 years! I remember going on HT and you were missing him so much. Thanks for sharing the story.

Michelle Kelly said...

I remember meeting Greg down in that ravine and he looked so goofy with that Indiana Jones hat on. I was skeptical of him but still remember when you came back to our trailer that night and said that he had asked for your phone number. You were so happy!! It's an amazing story and Greg is such a great addition to our family. He has Dave so excited to see the shuttle launch now :)