Saturday, May 29, 2010

Curly Kate

I will admit up front - I'm jealous of my niece's hair. Brynnley is only 10 days older than Kate and she has about as much hair as I do, and it's curly. Really cute curly, big sausage curls. Now having got that out of the way, I do appreciate the fact that while my sister was having to do hair for the past 2 years, my daughter has just only grown enough hair that I actually have to do something with it. A nice break for me!
I love the color of Kate' s hair. When she was born it was red. Since then it has lighten to a strawberry blond and now a very golden blond. It is a beautiful shade. And it is mostly stick straight. A few curls at the tips, but for the most part, it's like her Dad's - straight. I always thought if I had a daughter she would have curly hair like me, but no go. That's fine, I'd love it any way it is.
Greg's mom is a firm believer that little girls should have curly hair no matter their natural tendency toward straight or curly. She gave me some sponge curlers a few months ago for Kate's hair. At the time, Kate didn't have enough hair to wrap around the curler, so we put them away. Kate found them last night and wanted to put them in her hair. I wasn't sure she would leave them in, but I wound them around her damp hair.
She was so happy with her curlers, for about 5 minutes. Then, out they came. I can't blame her. I remember my mom putting my hair in sponge curlers (with a cute webby blue hair net) and I had to sleep with them in. Not fun. Truth be told, Kate left them in for about 4 minutes longer than I thought she would.
Her hair had a slight curl to it after she yanked the curlers out. It was mostly wavy. It only lasted about 20 minutes, then back to straight. Maybe we will try it again in a few weeks. If not, she is so cute and fun we could care less what her hair looks like!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm just like you...super curly hair and with a daughter with bone straight hair. I'm happy for her...curly has always been my enemy. Have you tried "rag-lers" on Kate? Much more comfy than sponge curlers and they're free! Just tear up an old tshirt into long strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. Roll up her hair and tie in a double knot. They help with that frizzy sponge roller mess that can happen sometime. Oh...to have a little girl to doll up still. I'm glad to see how much you enjoy having your little princess!

Gayle J. Randall said...

So glad you remembered the sponge curlers and the cute webby blue hair net. I had forgotten about those! Ah, what memories! The price we pay for beauty! Miss Kate is so cute any way you look at her--curly hair or not!

Ariana said...

So cute! And is that her foot in the picture? Is she doing some crazy yoga move? :)

Michelle Kelly said...

Cut post. I agree, the sponge curlers were not comfortable but she looks adorable. I have straight hair also, it's a curse.